2.21.2011

PJ Harvey-"Written On The Forehead"




Totally giving Pitchfork credit for this one, seeing that I had written PJ Harvey off as a sex-crazed wafer some time ago. In my defense, Rid of Me has a song called "Rub 'Til It Bleeds," which, um, yeah. Anywho, "Written On The Forehead" is a tremendous track, one that I haven't been able to keep my ears off of recently. It reminds me of a sunshower-sun's out, but dude, it's still raining. Rain comes here in form of the lyrics, which basically are about how we're all screwed and everything's going to hell. She cleverly uses a sample from the classic reggae tune "Blood and Fire" (Thanks again for the tip, Pfork) and spits lyrics like "Saw doves in the river who tried to swim away/Through tons of sewage fate written on their foreheads" to convey her grim message. I can't help but think of every one of my students when I hear that line.

No comments:

Post a Comment